My version of a wooden guitar stand.
I bought a guitar years ago with the intention of learning how to play; finally decided to get it restrung towards the end of last year.
Went to a new guitar shop in Leichhard near me and somehow the discussion turned to stands; they were trying to buy some from Melbourne storiesinwood.com.au but getting no responses. These were primarily for displays in the store for expensive guitars currently on cheap looking stands.
I said that I could probably make something similar; the prices were around the $150 mark depending on the type of timber.
These are some photos I copied while the site was still active; now unavailable!
We looked at others while I was there like these below but they liked the clean lines as above.
All I had to go by was the dimensions as per storiesinwood.com.au (105 x 45 x 30 cm) so had to do some layouts and make templates:
I used long steel rule to lay out the curves. two clamps worked to hold the ruler at the end:
I didn’t have any long pieces of timber thick enough so I laminated some 18 mm plywood I had spare.
I found that I was not great a duplicating shapes on my cheap bandsaw!
This was an earlier fit before I refined the shapes
Did a lot of sanding until I was reasonably happy with the shapes:
My wife’s nephew was visiting from NZ with his band so I was able to test a bass guitar as well as mine; probably needs to be 25 mm taller to fit all guitars.
Rounded off the edges; note to self – drill the hole for the holder after you round over or plug the hole when rounding over.
Applied an oak stain plus 2 coats of wipe on poly; no more at this stage as only a prototype for me. I quite like the semi industrial look.
Some things they specified were a swivel head for different types of guitars and preferably a single bolt for assembly.
I managed the swivel head by purchasing wall mounted hangers from eBay and used a angled hole with a dowel to enable the swivel. It is not glued in but can easily be later.
I used a Festool domino to join the base together and currently 2 long screws to connect together; may manage 1 screw and a pin in later versions if required. This is quite strong so happy with the result.