I recently decided to use some “new” epoxy resin that I bought 2 years ago; Megapoxy HX.
First thing was to ensure that my air compressor and pressure pot still worked. Pressurized the pot and left it overnight; vey pleased that it was still holding the pressure:
Initial attempt was to ensure that the resin was still ok due to its age; seemed ok as still liquid.
Had all the gear from before:
Decided to use limited colours. White, red, violet and blue dyes with lavender mica powder.
Decided I needed a rack so made a basic 2 level one:
This is a mould made for tube in pen casts but adequate for this.
Unfortunately for me first attempt my homemade mould leaked and only left a small amount of resin in the bottom.
The bought mould worked well although I added too much single resin at the bottom.
For the second attempt I simply added more resin to the leaking mould as it was now sealed by the pressured resin. I also added some blue mica powder to the blue dye for depth, this worked well.
Only had one join split apart while turning; probably should have abraded the blank before adding the extra resin.
Was very happy with the Seam Ripper results; the photo doesn’t show the colours that well.
All for sale through my Etsy and eBay sites
This is one of the dual pour blanks which does have a block of white but still ended up ok.